Saturday, January 08, 2005

Whatever happened to Ethics?

According to a news story that broke yesterday, conservative black commentator Armstrong Williams, received public monies in return for his promotion of the President's No Child Left Behind Act. The USA Today article reports:
The campaign, part of an effort to promote No Child Left Behind (NCLB), required commentator Armstrong Williams "to regularly comment on NCLB during the course of his broadcasts," and to interview Education Secretary Rod Paige for TV and radio spots that aired during the show in 2004.
Don't get me wrong, the idea behind the NCLB is fantastic. It allows parents to choose the best school for their child(ren). It also takes those failing schools and school systems to task for not doing what is needed to make sure that they provide a good education to their students. While I personally disapprove of the use of vouchers for private schools, a responsible, loving, parent will do whatever is necessary so their kids receive a quality education. I don't think anyone disagrees that a good education is the key to success. I know I've been taught that and I also teach my children that.

Here's the part that makes me livid(again from USA Today):
Williams said Thursday he understands that critics could find the arrangement unethical, but "I wanted to do it because it's something I believe in."
The whole contract, while shady at best and unethical at worst, begs the question of Williams: If this is something you believe in, why did you not do these spots for free, thus eliminating the question of ethics? But Mr. Williams gives a valiant effort in redeeming himself as follows(from the Yahoo! News story):
"It's a fine line," he told The Associated Press on Friday. "Even though I'm not a journalist — I'm a commentator — I feel I should be held to the media ethics standard. My judgment was not the best. I wouldn't do it again, and I learned from it."
His actions most likely were not illegal, but they sure do look that way. We need to demand a return to ethical behavior by ALL members of the media, commentators and journalists alike (take that Dan Rather!).

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Listed on BlogShares